Orthopedic Surgeon, Hand, Upper Extremity & Microvascular Surgery
Dr. Christoforou graduated magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa from New York University in 2002 with a degree in history and biology. He subsequently earned his medical degree from the New York University School of Medicine with honors where he was elected into the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society in 2006. His post-graduate training included an internship in General Surgery at NYU Medical Center, followed by an orthopaedic surgical residency at the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases in Manhattan, where he received the Chief Resident Teaching award. During that time he also served as a staff physician at Madison Square Garden, and as an assistant team physician for high school and local college sports teams. He then completed a fellowship in Hand, Upper Extremity and Microsurgery at Harvard Medical School, where he gained extensive experience, and served as a clinical instructor at the Massachusetts General and the Brigham and Women’s Hospitals in Boston. He has obtained further microsurgical training at Columbia University Medical Center’s Microsurgery Training and Research Laboratory. He has authored over 20 peer reviewed publications and chapters in orthopaedics and hand surgery. His research has been presented and awarded at multiple regional, national and international conferences. He is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
Dr. Christoforou developed an extensive practice in the New York Hudson Valley before returning to Long Island in 2015. He specializes in the treatment of hand, wrist, forearm and elbow conditions. He offers cutting edge treatment options, both surgical and nonsurgical, for a multitude of ailments including fractures, carpal tunnel syndrome, Dupuytren’s disease, arthritis, nerve, tendon and ligament injuries, and more. Some of these include endoscopic carpal tunnel release, wrist and hand arthroscopy, joint replacement/reconstructive surgery and injectable collagenase treatment for Dupuytren’s disease. Dr. Christoforou strives to individualize treatment for each of his patients, using minimally invasive approaches to care for a broad spectrum of problems of varying complexity.
"My injury was due to a car v. bicycle accident. I broke the two bones in my left arm, and my orthopedic surgeon referred me to Dr. Christoforou because he was unable to do the corrective surgical procedure. The office and medical staff in Dr. Christoforou’s offices were friendly, understanding, and efficient. I just had my first post-operative checkup and everything is healing well. Dr Christoforou is an excellent surgeon. He is professional, caring and extremely competent. I would strongly recommend Dr. Christoforou and his office from my experience as a current satisfied patient. Thank you, Dr. Christoforou and staff of Orthopedic Associates of Long Island "-
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Hand, wrist and elbow surgery
- Peripheral Nerve surgery
- Microsurgery Arthroscopy
- Hatem CA, Kantis GA, Christoforou D, et al. Tuberculous aneurysm of the descending thoracic aorta. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg.2002; 123: 373-374.
- Golant AG, Christoforou D, Slover JD, Zuckerman JD. Athletic Participation after hip and knee arthroplasty. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2010; 68(2):76-83.
- Ruchelsman DE; Christoforou D; Rokito AS. Ipsilateral nonunions of the coracoid process and distal clavicle: a rare shoulder girdle fracture pattern. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2010; 68(1):33-7.
- Christoforou, D. The involvement of the orthopaedic surgeon in the development of federal and state health policy. New York State Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Newsletter June/July 2010.
- Christoforou D, Golant AG, Ort P. Arthroscopically assisted two-stage cementation technique for a periarticular knee lesion. Orthopedics. 2010 Mar 10:202-206.
- Lin EA, Min W, Christoforou D, Tejwani N. Young and Burgess type I lateral compression pelvis fractures: A comparison of anterior and posterior pelvic ring injuries. Orthopedics. 2010 Jun; 33(6) 389.
- Bharucha NJ, Alaia M, Paksima N, Christoforou D, Gupta S. An Aggressive Group A streptococcal cellulitis of the hand and forearm requiring surgical debridement: Orthopedics. 2011 Jan; 34(1):57.
- Christoforou D, Fajardo M, Kardashian G, Tsai P, Klein J, and Lee SK. Jersey Finger Repair: A Biomechanical Evaluation of a New Surgical Technique- Abstract. JHS-Am. 2010; 35(10): 21-22.
- Ruchelsman DE, Christoforou D; Wasserman B; Lee SK, Rettig ME. Avulsion injuries of the flexor digitorum profundus tendon. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2011 Mar; 19(3): 152-62.
- Kardashian G, Christoforou D, Lee SK. Perilunate dislocations. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2011; 69(1): 87-96.
- Golant AG, Christoforou DC, Kwon YW, Zuckerman JD.Return to sports after shoulder arthroplasty: a survey of surgeons’ preferences. J Shoulder Elbow Surg 2011 March 8.
- Christoforou D, Hall M, Strauss EJ, Egol K. Orthopaedic Chief Resident Grand Rounds Presentations. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis 2011; 69(1): 5.
- Lee SK, Fajardo M, Kardashian G, Tsai P, Klein J, and Christoforou D. Repair of Flexor Digitorum Profundus to Distal Phalanx: A Biomechanical Evaluation of Four Techniques. JHS-Am 2011 Aug 27.
- Christoforou D, Strauss EJ, Posner MP. Extraosseous cartilaginous tumors of the hand and wrist. JHS-Eur 2012 Jan;37(1):8-13.
- Huffaker, SJ, Christoforou DC, Jupiter JB. Spontaneous rupture of the extensor carpi radialis brevis. J Hand Surg Am, 2012 Jun; 37(6): 1221-4.
- Neuhaus V, Christoforou DC, Cheriyan T, Mudgal CS. Evaluation and treatment of failed carpal tunnel release. Orthop Clin North Am. 2012 Oct; 43(4): 439-47.
- Ruchelsman DE, Christoforou D, Jupiter JB. Fractures of the radial head and neck: Current Concepts. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2013 Mar 6;95(5): 469-78.
- Fajardo M, Fitzpatrick D, Christoforou D, Rosenberg Z, Grossman JAI. Multiple nerve injury following repair of a distal biceps tendon rupture: Case report and review of the literature. Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis 2013; 71(2): 166-9.
- Christoforou D, Alaia M, Scott SC. Microsurgical management of acute traumatic injuries of the hand and fingers. Bull Hosp Jt Dis (2013). 2013;71(1):6-16.
- Ding DY, Christoforou D, Turner G, Tejwani NC. Postoperative stroke after hemiarthroplasty for femoral neck fracture: a report of 2 cases and review of literature. J Patient Saf. 2014 Jun;10(2):117-20
- Neuhaus V, Christoforou DC, Kachooei AR, Jupiter JB, Ring DC, Mudgal CS. Radial Head Prosthesis Removal: a Retrospective Case Series of 14 Patients. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2015 Apr;3(2):88-93.
- Calcific Tedonitis
- Fractures of the Shoulder
- Frozen Shoulder
- Shoulder Dislocation
- Shoulder Impingement
- Shoulder Separation (AC Joint Sprains)
- Steroid Injections
- Tendonitis (Rotator Cuff)
- Tedonitis (Biceps)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Hand Arthritis (Fingers)
- Thumb Arthritis
- Capral Tunnel Syndrome
- Dupuytren's Contracture
- Finger Tendon Injuries
- Fractures of the hand & fingers (Adults & Pediatrics)
- Raynaud's Phenomenom
- Finger Deformities
- Lumps & Bumps
- Trigger Finger
- Arthritis Wrist
- Avascular Necrosis
- Capral Tunnel Syndrome (Wrist)
- De Quervains Syndrome
- Fractures of the Wrist & Forearm (Adults & Pediatrics)
- Wrist Sprains
- Ganglion Cyst
- Scaphoid Injuries & Conditions
- Wrist Surgery
- Arthoscopy of the Wrist
- Arthritis Elbow
- Brachial Plexus Injury
- Elbow Arthroscopy
- Elbow Dislocation
- Elbow Fractures (Adult & Pediatrics)
- Golfer's Elbow (Medial Epicondylitis)
- Tommy John Surgery
- Ulnar Nerve Entrapment
- Humerus Fractures
- Elbow Arthroscopy
- Biceps Tendon Rupture/Tear
- Gymnastics Wrist
PATIENT INFO FORMS
- East Setauket
- West Babylon