If you know you need treatment for an ongoing or a brand new issue, you may decide to see just one physician. Even if that doctor came highly recommended by a close friend, we always think that it’s a good idea to get a second opinion. Just to be safe.
Just as every person is different, every doctor (or surgeon) is different. Special education or more experience with a specific treatment or type of surgery can help a doctor give you more information. You may even be surprised to hear about a new options that may better suit your lifestyle.
When Should I Get a Second Opinion?
If your condition is threatening your limb or your life and it requires emergency care, then you really don’t have time for a second opinion. If you do happen to have the time (like in cases of a repetitive strain), we think it’s a good idea to ask for a second opinion. Sometimes, a second opinion can help you gain clarity regarding your specific situation and all of the possible surgeries or treatment options available to you. If any of the below occur, it may be worth getting a second opinion to ensure you’re making the right choice:
- Surgery is one of the treatment options offered, or the only treatment offered by the physician.
- Numerous treatment options are available and you aren’t sure which one to choose.
- After consulting with your physician or surgeon, you still have unanswered questions or you feel confused.
- You are told that your condition can’t be successfully treated or that you will just have to live with it.
- Your condition returns after treatment was completed.
- A cause for your symptoms is not identified, and symptoms continue regardless.
- You feel that there is something wrong or inaccurate with the diagnosis or treatment suggested.
Would you like to request a second opinion? We provide highly personalized and comprehensive care to help you feel informed, heal faster, and go back to your normal life feeling well. Ultimately, we want you to be informed so you make the best decision for your health. Feel free to give us a call at 508.363.6363 to schedule a consultation or second opinion.