What shoulder conditions are addressed at our practice?
- Posted on: Nov 30 2020
At Orthopedic Associates of Long Island, our providers have dedicated their careers to helping patients with a wide range of services regarding the musculoskeletal system. This includes the bones, muscles, tendons, joints, and ligaments throughout the body. The musculoskeletal system is incredibly complex, and by visiting a specialist with specific training and experience in this area, patients can rest easy knowing they are in great hands! At our practice, we address several areas of the body, including the shoulders. The shoulders can experience a range of condition that can be treated when properly diagnosed by our providers.
Below is a small sample of shoulder conditions that we can assist with:
- Labral tears – the labrum is a tendon in the shoulder that can be torn or frayed, causing pain and discomfort. Labral tears are often addressed with surgical procedures to repair the area and restore function.
- Shoulder arthritis – arthritis affects many areas of the body and can impact one’s function when it develops in the shoulder area. In severe cases, patients may require surgery to address arthritis when it can no longer be maintained or controlled with pain medications and exercises.
- Shoulder dislocation – a dislocated shoulder can be painful, and will need to be addressed as soon as possible. Our team can reposition the shoulder joint back into the socket with specialized techniques that should only be performed by a medical professional.
- Shoulder arthroscopy – arthroscopy of the shoulder refers to the use of an arthroscope to diagnose conditions within the shoulder area and to treat them. This procedure allows the doctor to make smaller incision and reduce scarring and invasiveness when compared with more traditional surgical methods.
- Shoulder impingement – when connective tissues such as tendons rub against the shoulder blade, they can cause a condition called shoulder impingement. This condition often occurs in patients who perform repetitive shoulder activities and can result in pain and discomfort.
- Shoulder replacement – in cases where extensive damage or arthritis occurs, our team can provide shoulder replacement surgery to restore function and health to the area.
Request an appointment with our team today!
Call (631) 689-6698 to request a consultation visit with our team at Orthopedic Associates of Long Island to determine if you are in need of shoulder treatments or surgeries. We have seven convenient locations throughout the Long Island area serving patients in and around the community.
Posted in: Shoulder