If you have experienced a head injury, it is important that you ensure that you have not suffered from a concussion. A concussion is best described as a brain injury that can occur when the head has been hit with excessive force. The condition may appear immediately or over time, depending on the severity of the concussion.
What are symptoms that may be indicative of a concussion?
There are many symptoms that may develop when a concussion occurs. They may range from mild to severe, and can include:
- Poor memory
- Loss of consciousness
- Vision problems
- Noise or light sensitivity
- Poor balance
- Slow reaction speeds
What should I do after ac concussion?
If you or someone else experiences an injury or trauma to the head, it is best to call a doctor to determine the best course of action. Depending on the severity of the trauma, the doctor may recommend the individual rest and stay monitored with observation for several days to look for signs of a more serious problem. Other times, the doctor may recommend the patient visit the emergency room, especially if signs of a concussion develop immediately after the trauma occurs.
What precautions should be taken while resting and under observation?
- If the concussion occurred during sports activities, individuals should not resume play until evaluated by a professional
- Individuals should avoid driving or operating machinery for several days after the injury
- Within the first 24 hours, the individual should not be left alone
- Avoid screen time within the first 48 hours, as they can worsen the symptoms of a concussion
- Avoid caffeine consumption, loud noises, bright lights, and mentally demanding activities
- Avoid consumption of alcohol
- Ask the doctor if is it okay to take an over-the-counter pain reliever
- Approximately one week after the injury, patients can slowly return to their normal activities
Are you concerned about the consequences of a concussion?
Contact the team at Orthopedic Associates of Long Island today to discuss your treatment options. We have seven convenient locations available for new and existing patients. Call our doctors at (631) 689-6698 to schedule a consultation visit with our doctors.