Patients who have chronic hip pain that is impacting their ability to live a higher quality of life with both work and play may want to work with an orthopedic team to discuss the possibility of undergoing certain restorative procedures with an orthopedic surgeon such as hip replacement. While hip replacement surgery is an extensive procedure that takes weeks of recovery, it is still one of the most common replacement procedures performed in the United States each year.
There are many things patients should know about hip replacement surgery as advised by the team at Orthopedic Associates of Long Island:
- Hip replacement surgery should always be the last resort option when physical therapy and other more conservative solutions have failed to provide relief.
- When a condition such as osteoarthritis is impacting one’s ability to enjoy full functionality of their body and perform the activities of life, hip replacement should be strongly considered as a solution.
- Hip replacement procedures can be performed in patients of all ages, especially those who suffer from inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis.
- Choose an orthopedic surgeon who has years of experience and is a specialist in providing replacement surgeries in the community.
- Choose a prosthetic that is right for you. Hip replacements come in a variety of materials, including plastic, ceramic, chrome, and titanium.
- There are different ways to access the hip area, and our team can help decide where the incision point for your procedure will be.
- Speak to your doctor to find out if it is best to have both hip joints replaced at the same time, or if you should focus on having one side done prior to the other.
- Be prepared to be proactive in healing after the procedure with physical therapy and pain medication management.
Call Orthopedic Associates of Long Island today!
Men and women who are interested in learning more about hip replacement surgery and other treatment methods are welcome to book a consultation visit with our staff to discuss their options. Call (631) 689-6698 to request an appointment at any one of our seven locations throughout the area. We service patients in and around the communities of Setauket, Southampton, Patchogue, Riverhead, Commack, Wading River, and West Babylon.